Thursday, April 14, 2011

bittersweet.

today i told my kiddos that after i have finley i wont be returning to work. ever. they took it pretty well and i told them while my sub was in there so they could put a face with a name. i just don't want them to be worried about anything. and i didn't want them to think i abandoned them. it's weird that i only have 5 more days of teaching. i love teaching. i complain, yes, but i couldn't imagine doing anything else---except raising my finley. this has been my best year of teaching by far. i have the sweetest kids who are constantly asking how finley is doing and helping me as much as possible. this is exactly what i needed this year. i'm really glad i'm going out on a good note. maybe it'll make me want to return to teaching years from now. don't get me wrong, i can't wait to be a stay at home mom. i can't believe we're lucky enough to be able to do this. it'll just be different. and kinda perfect timing with all the budget cuts. my job would have been safe, but with me leaving someone else gets to stay. so here are some funny things i have heard from kids just this week alone.

kid: "do you take showers?"
me: "of  course"
"like, with your baby?"
"of course. she's with me all the time."
"does she get heavy in there?"
now i'm confused b/c how is that different then right now?
"well, it's just like me standing here with you right now."

saw a boy that i had last year. after giving me a hug he points and laughs at me and says:
"HAHA...you're fat!!"

i guess the dress i wore yesterday made me look uber-pregnant.
girl: "i didn't know you were REALLY pregnant!"

when a boy came in my classroom he gasped and said:
"mrs. hawkins, you look beautiful! i bet finley is going to be beautiful like you."

and this is why it's bittersweet to be leaving. i'm sure i'll have some pretty good finley stories too. :)

3 comments:

  1. Love the cute stories! Love the last one most of all. That little boy is so right! I know it has to be tough to leave teaching and those incredible children. I sure can see how it is bittersweet. I know the kids have had the best teacher with them, I wish their parents could see how their children have blessed your life too.
    I'm so happy that you are able to be home with Fin, you will be an incredible stay at home mom! Your adventure is about to begin!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Kara,

    Those kiddos are so lucky to have had you all year! Seems like they know it too. :o) I'm so glad you had this group to finish out on such a high note. The stories are adorable! The school and the kids will miss you, but you and Finley are the big winners! I'm thrilled that you get to stay home with her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for being a SAHM. Playgroups, snuggle time, and all the firsts await you. And you get to be there for every single one! This is by far the best job in the whole world!

    ReplyDelete