Friday, January 1, 2010

rules.

There is still some debate about the rules of this year-long challenge. I am open to suggestions and opinions as to what I can and cannot buy. So far here is what we (my family and a few friends) have come up with as solid rules.

1. I can't buy any clothes whatsoever-- new, used, old, ugly, fabulous--NONE
2. I can't use gift cards to get new clothes.
3. I CAN buy accessories, and thank goodness for that. If I'm going to be wearing clothes that I've had forever I'll need to spruce them up somehow. A chunky necklace or quirky hat should do the trick.

The verdict is still out on the following, and therefore I will be taking ideas.

1. Can I buy shoes? My love of shoes goes deeper than the love I have for clothes.
2. Can I receive clothes as a gift? I think yes as long as it's a legit holiday---and not a random one like Arbor Day. If we say yes to this one we may need to make a list of appropriate clothes-giving holidays.
3. Can I borrow clothes? Erin has quite the collection of clothes as well and we happen to be the same size. I'll give them back promptly, I promise.
4. Can I buy clothes for others? As torturous as it may be to go shopping with my husband, he will most likely "want" my opinion. Or if I see an adorable outfit that screams "GRACE!" I should probably be allowed to buy it.

On day one I feel no separation anxiety from the stores. Although yesterday my stomach was killing me and Brandon said, "Do you think it's b/c you're thinking about not being able to buy clothes for a year?" I replied very seriously, "I don't think so." Then he explained he was kidding.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting, maybe I can convince Julie to do something like that. Here are my thoughts.

    1) Only 2 pair of shoes for the whole year. You can also replace a pair that are no longer wearable (i.e. busted flip flops or destroyed by Ruby).

    2) Gifts are fine. Birthday and Christmas only and you can't have any say in what it is. Must be an original gift idea.

    3) You can borrow and give back immediately. Or you can recieve second hand clothes from someone, however, you must donate to Goodwill at a 2-1 ratio for each item of second hand clothing received. Might be nice to have a charitable aspect of this challenge.

    4) Buying clothes for someone is ok, but you can't borrow anything you give as a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kara...can't wait to see how this goes! Send me your e-mail address and I'll send you an invite to our blog too!

    ReplyDelete